Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Macaroni Art

   

I have been asked by a couple of my blogger friends about macaroni art.  Apparently, when they were in elementary school, they made several macaroni art projects and find it astounding that I haven't done them in my art class.  While it is true that I have never in my 12 years of teaching elementary art used macaroni as an artistic medium, I am not opposed to it.  In fact, upon further reflection, I took part in a science lab class where the students used macaroni to make a human skeleton.  They actually turned out fairly nice.  I decided to do a little macaroni art research and came up with a few ideas.


We have done projects that deal with facial expressions and what it looks like to be happy, sad, angry, etc.  So this might be a project we can do.


We have most recently made food collages using torn paper as a medium.  I see no reason we can't do something similar using macaroni.  Now I want a cheeseburger.


I doubt very seriously if any of my students even know who the Spice Girls are.  But it would appear that someone out there really, really likes them....and has a lot of time on their hands, lol.

     Those are a few of the ideas I had just doing a little web surfing.  I'm sure my students can make something really fantastic with macaroni.  They can pretty much do anything if I can get them to focus for a few minutes on any one thing, lol.  Anyone have any macaroni art stories to share?  I can always use more ideas.

13 comments:

  1. I lol'd at the spice girls one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O yea thats what i wanted to see. SOME FINE MACARONI ART !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't do this in Ireland when I was little, but my daughter did and I love macaroni art. It's so classic and perfect. Please post it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember I made a snowman of macaroni art and my mom has hung it up every Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah. the spice girls. was crazy about once upon a time.
    :p

    Jaya J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel utterly cheated that I never got to make a macaroni art project! How rude! Great research, Otter! It reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer makes a little pasta statue of Jerry and calls it 'Fusilli Jerry'! It eventually ends up somewhere dark, that makes it impossible for Frank Costanza to walk! Hilarious!

    Pointless info: I've been told by my house mates that we're having mac and cheese sandwiches for dinner tonight! I love it when the boys cook, it' like being a kid again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I need a hamburger. I took a painting class with my dad, we shared gallons of cheap house paint with the other students and learned to mix color. Those paintings have lasted decades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL can't say I ever heard of macaroni art and yeah someone sure has a ton of time on their hands with that last one

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing, especially Spice girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be tempted to eat this macaroni art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. spice spice so many memories...
    im old

    ReplyDelete